GUI scaling rendered KDevelop useless on Windows 10

Ingvar Tjøstheim itj at automasjon.no
Wed Sep 15 06:43:44 BST 2021

Thank you for the reply!

>>KDevelop seems to get stuck with scaled-up fonts and GUI when I switch to the laptop display.
>You mean when you move its window back and forth a few times, or do you actually disconnect the external screen?

I only use one screen at the same time. I have a USB-C dock for the laptop, where the monitor is plugged in. I either use the monitor through this, or use the built-in laptop monitor when I disconnect the dock.

>>Switching back and forth a few times seems to "pump up" the GUI size to where the buttons now occupy the majority of the screen and the program is useless.
> Do other KDE or Qt applications show this issue?

I don't have any other KDE or programs. I believe Audacity is Qt, and it is not affected.

>I've already been annoyed myself by the scaling feature in Win10 but use that OS so little that I don't exactly remember how I got it out of my way (probably set it to 1:1 since I don't have crazy-hi-res screens). Maybe it's worth checking if you can set the scaling of your external screen manually (at the OS level) to something appropriate and see if that addresses the "pumping" effect.

>If you (can) build kdevelop yourself you could check if disabling `AA_UseHighDpiPixmaps` (in app/main.cpp) has any effect; you could be seeing an interference between Qt's builtin support for high DPI screens and support already built into the OS.

Sorry, I am not setup to do this at the moment. But I can see how this would be valuable!

Yesterday I actually unplugged the dock from the computer and due to other Windows 10 issues had to force-restart the computer. The computer appeared to not want to turn on (black screen) until I had held the power button a while. After finally managing to boot the computer with only the laptop screen, KDevelop somehow was restored to normal size.
If the issue returns, I will try turning the computer off, restarting and cycling power, etc, while paying attention to what works and not. I will let you know.

This is a relatively new Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 8 laptop.

Sincerely,
Ingvar Tjøstheim