Fwd: Building kdevelop on Windows 10 with MinGW/gcc

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Mon Jul 27 10:56:10 BST 2020

On Monday, 27 July 2020 01:07:27 CEST Russell Haley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build on WIndows 10 using mingw and I am getting the
> following error:
>
> Craft               : C:\Users\russh\CraftRoot
> Version             : master
> ABI                 : windows-mingw_64-gcc
> Download directory  : C:\Users\russh\CraftRoot\download
> C:\Users\russh\CraftRoot> craft kdevelop
> Craft               : C:\Users\russh\CraftRoot
> Version             : master
> ABI                 : windows-mingw_64-gcc
> Download directory  : C:\Users\russh\CraftRoot\download
> C:\Users\russh\CraftRoot\etc\blueprints\locations\craft-blueprints-kde\extra
> gear\kdevelop\kdevelop\kdevelop.py failed:
> extragear/kdevelop/kdevelop requries libs/qt5/qtwebengine, but it is not
> supported on 2
>
> I'm following the instructions found here:
> https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Build_from_source/Windows
>
> Any advice other than installing VC++ would be appreciated? I use VS and
> VC++ at work and I have nothing against it, but I'm trying to build out my
> own toolset with llvm-mingw [1]. I can cross compile on FreeBSD if
> necessary, but I'd like to be able to pick at the kdevelop code on my
> laptop.

Heya,

QtWebEngine under Windows requires Visual Studio unfortunately, MinGW is not
supported, see:
  https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-42725

Cross-compiling KDevelop from FreeBSD/Linux was never attempted and personally
I would not go down this rabbit hole in case you feel familiar on Windows
anyway, and would like to /work/ on Windows using KDevelop.

For non-enterprise use cases you could just use MSVC Community edition, which
is free of charge.

Alternatively, you can try what RJVB suggested: Try building KDevelop against
QtWebKit using the CMake arguments RJVB provided; but doing so using KDE Craft
requires changing the Craft recipes (more involved). You'll need to add the
QtWebKit dep and then also disable finding QtWebEngine. For instance, look at
kate.py inside craft-kde-blueprints.git:

```
kde/applications/kate/kate.py
51:            self.subinfo.options.configure.args += " -
DCMAKE_DISABLE_FIND_PACKAGE_KF5Plasma=ON"
```

All untested terrain though.

Hope that helps,
Kevin