Kdevelop and gdb 10.0.1

Alvin alvinbeach at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 13:43:59 GMT 2020

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 9:19 AM Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:

> On Donnerstag, 10. Dezember 2020 14:03:28 CET René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> > On Thursday December 10 2020 13:30:20 Milian Wolff wrote:
> > >We had to change the system to create appimages, so I would appreciate if
> > >someone could test this new 5.6.1 appimage:
> > >
> > >https://lmnm.duckdns.org/s/TwjLWnQsQG8tD43
> > >
> > >Does it work on your platform/distro? Ideally test something non-KDE/arch
> > >based, as that was tested by me already :)
> >
> > It works on my KUbuntu 14.04 frankenOS, though with a sh*load of debug
> > output (tip of the iceberg below).
>
> Thanks for testing.
>
> > I don't know if you're obliged to include FreeType and FontConfig in this
> > new AppImage; it wasn't yet the case with 5.6.0 - and people like me who
> > have those libraries installed with the Infinality+Ultimate patches can
> > notice a significant font rendering quality w.r.t. their system
> > applications.
>
> I quite frankly don't care about such little things. People should only use
> the AppImage if they have to, but if things look a bit odd then so be it. If
> you want something nice, user a modern distro that gives you a proper package
> directly.
>
> > OTOH you *could* include the required libdbus; it will work
> > just fine with an older dbus daemon.
> >
> > /tmp/.mount_KDevel6UAxF6/AppRun.wrapped:
> > /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available
> > (required by /tmp/.mount_KDevel6UAxF6/usr/lib/libQt5WebEngineCore.so.5)
> > /tmp/.mount_KDevel6UAxF6/AppRun.wrapped:
> > /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available
> > (required by /tmp/.mount_KDevel6UAxF6/usr/lib/libpulse.so.0)
> > /tmp/.mount_KDevel6UAxF6/AppRun.wrapped:
> > /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available
> > (required by /tmp/.mount_KDevel6UAxF6/usr/lib/libpulsecommon-10.0.so)
>
> Bundling the old libdbus makes problems on newer distros, so I explicitly
> remove that. Quite frankly, 14.04 is far too old for me to care - it's EOL
> already after all.
>
> > QXcbIntegration: Cannot create platform OpenGL context, neither GLX nor EGL
>
> Yes, I've seen that too, but feel reluctant of bundling GLX/EGL libs hm. Maybe
> I have to, the old appimage also does it.
>
> > are enabled qt.widgets.painting: Marking QRect(0,0 880x502) of
> > QWidget(0xb96960, name="qt_scrollarea_viewport") dirty with
> > QWidgetRepaintManager::UpdateLater qt.widgets.painting: Sending update
> > request to KDevelop::SessionChooserDialog(0x7fff0e0576c0) with
> > QWidgetRepaintManager::UpdateLater qt.widgets.painting: Marking QRect(0,0
> > 880x502) of QWidget(0xb96960, name="qt_scrollarea_viewport") dirty with
> > QWidgetRepaintManager::UpdateLater qt.widgets.painting: Marking QRect(0,0
> > 900x600) of KDevelop::SessionChooserDialog(0x7fff0e0576c0) dirty with
> > QWidgetRepaintManager::UpdateLater qt.widgets.painting: Marking QRect(0,0
> > 80x23) of QPushButton(0xfd1740) dirty with
> > QWidgetRepaintManager::UpdateLater

> [...]

Thank you for generating the AppImage. I tried it and had no issues on both:
1. Ubuntu 20.10 using GNOME 3.38.1 (X11), gdb 9.2
2. openSUSE Tumbleweed 20201209 KDE Plasma 5.20.4, KDE Frameworks
5.76.0 and Qt 5.15.2, gdb 10.1

I have been using the KDevelop AppImages in Ubuntu for some time as I
was too impatient for Ubuntu to upgrade the repo. I haven't bothered
trying the Applmages before in openSUSE as I use KDE on that machine.

FWIW, since it was mentioned this bug was fixed but just not
officially released, I went ahead and installed KDevelop from
openSUSE's Unstable KDE extra repo (version 5.6.40 20201210) which I
believe is a nightly build. I've been using that for a few days
without any issues (no crashing, able to debug, etc.).

Alvin