KDevelop continuous activity?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 08:47:23 BST 2020

On Thursday April 09 2020 20:51:13 Sven Brauch wrote:
>> The real culprit appears to be the glib-based event processing
>
>Unlikely. The attached screenshot certainly doesn't tell you that.

An idle GUI application that spends close to 70% of its cycles in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents and g_main_context_iterate, isn't that a bit suspicious at least?
I'd expect a GUI image that's not being used to do something other than busy-wait for the next event...

>Look at the
>flame graph instead.

What should I be looking for in that wilderness?

>> And in some libc function
>> called by qt_format_text.
>
>If it's called qt_format_text, it's probably not from libc ;)

A libc function that, from what I understand, is being called most often by qt_format_text (or qt_format_text is just that function's caller that burned the most cycles during the sample period).

Either way, I tried with the current stock app image, and one of 5.2.3 that I had still lying around. Both showed the issue so whatever this is it's apparently not something new with KDevelop as I thought.
Just to pursue the glib idea: I can't seem to figure out what version is used by these app images?

R.