goto-matching-fence?

hw hw at adminart.net
Fri Sep 20 19:07:13 BST 2019

On Friday, September 20, 2019 8:41:02 AM CEST Kevin Funk wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 September 2019 20:37:55 CEST hw wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what is the equivalent in KDevelop of goto-matching-fence that Emacs has?
>
> If I understand that feature correctly, then this is similar to this action:
> "Move to Matching Bracket"
>
> Default shortcut is "Ctrl+6".

Cool, thanks!  I'll give it another try.

> Conduct the Settings -> Configure Shortcuts dialog for more details.

Ok.

> > At this point, I have to go back to Emacs as apparently the most features
> > required of an editor are missing.
>
> As others indicated; KDevelop may be overkill for editing a couple of Perl
> files. It has no enhanced language support (say, code comprehension or code
> completion aid) for Perl. The only benefits you're getting compared to just
> using Kate is advanced project management and VCS integration.

I never said I'm only editing a few perl files.  Project management and VCS
integration could be extremely useful and when the editor can't reasonably
edit a few perl files, the editor will be still useless.

> The text editor part is exactly the same in Kate (it uses the same backend).
> So you'll also get above shortcut.

So it would seem right to use KDevelop instead of kate because KDevelop has
basically all features kate has and which I would use to edit perl files which
kate doesn't have while I could progress to using other features kate doesn't
have but KDevelop has :)