equivalent of indent-region?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 21:05:14 BST 2019

On Thursday September 19 2019 17:06:01 hw wrote:

>> But under Tools/Indentation you can select different indentation types
>> which may be sufficient for your needs.
>
>Which one should I use?  I'm assuming that "normal" means that an indentation
>is being used which is suited to the contents of the buffer.  In case for
>perl, it is doing the highlighting as can be expected.

Highlighting and indentation are 2 different aspects. I have no idea what kind of indentation you'd want for perl, nor what "normal" really stands for.
That's a question you should ask on the kwrite-devel ML.

>Why shouldn't I use KDevelop?  It seemed to me that KDevelop is like an
>adorned version of kate in that it has added features some of which could be
>useful.

You could indeed say that the editor component in KDevelop is an "adorned version of Kate", but KDevelop is much more than that, and Kate has other features that KDevelop doesn't have (or instead in a much more complex and costly implementation).

I didn't say you shouldn't be using KDevelop, just that it has lots of features you won't be using but that do increase the footprint. I use KDevelop to maintain a collection of Tcl files and patchfiles because I like the project management and git GUI in KDevelop better than the counterparts in Kate.

Kate does have a text filter plugin btw.

And you could of course contribute a perl plugin for KDevelop, or a patch of the astyle plugin that adds perl formatting support.

R.