What version of KDevelop for Centos 6.6?

Nick Savoiu savoiu at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 15:51:02 BST 2017

HI Kevin, yes; I've built KDE/KDevelop before. Will the AppImage need any other libraries (KF5, etc)?
Nick

    On Thursday, September 7, 2017, 12:12:12 AM PDT, Kevin Funk <kfunk at kde.org> wrote:

 On Thursday, 7 September 2017 01:51:27 CEST Nick Savoiu wrote:
> Hi all, I poked around the mailing list archive but did not see anything on
> this topic (not easy to search) I'm moving from Centos 5.9 to Centos 6.6
> and want to continue running KDevelop on it.

Did you build KDevelop yourself before? Anyhow, the latest version of KDevelop
(5.1.2 at this point) should be good to go for this distro.

The easiest and quickest solution would be to go with the AppImage we provide:
  https://www.kdevelop.org/download

Just download, make it executable, run.

> What's a good version for it
> (including building from scratch)? I've looked at KF5 and QT5 but they seem
> to be hard to build/install on Centos 6.6.

For compiling yourself (if you really want to):

If there are no packages for KF5/Qt5 for that system I'd recommend trying
Craft (a user space package manager) for building all the dependencies on your
system:
  https://community.kde.org/Craft

We're still lacking documentation how to install Craft on Linux, but you can
follow the instructions for macOS at this point.

After setup, all you need to do is:
  craft kdevelop

I've never tested it on CentOS myself, but it's worth trying. If you
experience any problems please join the #kdevelop IRC channel on Freenode and
we can try to help.

> Would a KDevelop 4.x be easy to
> build?

Definitely not, I wouldn't go that route.

Regards,
Kevin