KDevelop starter questions regarding Build and Source Control

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue May 30 00:56:33 BST 2017

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Yinon Ehrlich <yinon.me at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Started to evaluate KDevelop (mainly Linux & C++), basically the
> parser seems promising.
> Yet, didn't find answers to the following questions regarding KDevelop
> 5.1, could you please shed some light (or refer to updated manual or
> other resource) ?
> 1. Created JSON compilation DB file (compile_commands.json), but where
> KDevelop should be configured to use it for the project ?

This is not supported at the moment. CMake support has a mode that
uses these files, but only cmake. If you want to use this on another
kind of project it will have to be added (which wouldn't be hard, but
still some work).

> 2. Is there a way to provide several JSON compilation commands - one
> per each platform/mode ?

I guess you mean being able to switch between compile_commands.json
files. What we'd have now in cmake is each of them in a different
build directory. Build directories in cmake change when the platform
changes.

> 3. How support in another source-control might be introduced  (is
> there any template/plugins framework) ?

There's not a lot of documentation. I recommend you take a look at the
git plugin code in kdevplatform/plugins/git/.

> 4. Does KDevelop has a mechanism similar to QTCreator of wizards -
> http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-project-wizards-json.html ?

We have templates. There are 2 kinds: file and project templates. I'm
pretty sure they're kind of a similar concept.

You can take a look at them in kdevelop/file_templates and
kdevelop/project_templates.

HTH,
Aleix