Whence the accelerators?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri May 5 09:17:05 BST 2017

On Friday May 05 2017 01:31:13 Aleix Pol wrote:

>I'm pretty sure this is an issue in Qt5 though, and will need investigation.
>
>It's not a feature we ever added or removed explicitly, AFAIK.

Isn't it supposed to be that you have to add accelerators explicitly by putting an ampersand at the desired location in the action title string?
IOW, maybe Qt5 just dropped an undocumented feature from Qt4.

I agree though that some investigation on (keyboard) control of the build options would be nice. It's a bit hit-and-miss at the moment depending on where the focus is, as if the IDE tries to guess what the target for the build command should be (while most of the time it's simply the project and rarely if ever just that file you modified). That has already bitten me in the sense that I specifically wanted NOT to rebuild an entire project but only a small part.

This goes  beyond accelerators, but to get consistent behaviour one might consider to
- provide a build target selector (drop-down menu, preferably with a text-input field); this target would be used unless a different one was specified explicitly
- provide a different action with shortcut for "compile this file only" ... which would of course have to do better figuring out how to accomplish that
- maintain the possibility to build a specific target via the context menu.

---
[It seems the older I get the more I want to do everything exclusively either with a pointing device or the keyboard. Regardless of whether I have a trackpad sitting under a laptop keyboard or an external mouse/trackpad.]
---

R.