Fwd: Re: [GSoC] KDevelop Integration with Arduino and embedded development

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Fri Mar 25 01:21:41 GMT 2016

Hey,

On 25/03/16 01:50, patrick JP wrote:
> The proposal is already on GSoC.
You can update even the final proposal until the deadline tomorrow.

> The relationship with KDevelop and arduide
> is to develop in ArduIDE some features and support to the new Arduino
> libraries because  some already have some base to work, so it will be only
> a qt implementation.
I agree with Aleix' concerns here. Your proposal reads like you plan to
spend half of the time working on ArduIDE. While I value your
involvement in other projects and think it's a great way to show that
you're actually capable of doing good work, your GSoC project for
KDevelop needs to be on KDevelop itself.
If time can be spent on working on (separate) libraries other projects
can profit from as well, that's fine, but in the end it must at least be
clear from each bullet point in your proposal how this is necessary and
hepful for your project (and the project is "KDevelop integration with
embedded development"). Those libraries should then also be actual
separate libraries, and not features you implement in a different IDE
and then port to KDevelop.

How realistic the timeline is remains to be seen, but that's always the
same for timelines, right ;)
The list of things you plan to do reads good. Also here, I'm sure some
things need to be dropped because they turn out to be too complicated,
but that's fine with me. Note that KDevelop already has clang-powered
completion for C, so I don't think much needs to be done here.

One thing I personally would really like to view is a register/memory
map view (as described on the ideas page). If you're interested in
working on that, it would be a great thing to add to the proposal.

Thanks and best regards,
Sven