Kdevelop modifies files - even excluded files!

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Tue Mar 1 16:03:21 GMT 2016

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:33:15 PM CET Michael Goltsman wrote:

>  On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 5:24 PM, Milian Wolff  wrote:
> > > Kdevelop 4.6.0 on KDE 4.13.3 (available via Kubuntu 14.04)
> >
> >This is extremely old. I urge you to update to the latest KDevelop 4.7.x
> >
> > before doing anything else. Potentially this issue is resolved there
> > already.
> The upgrade is extremely hard if you do not want to upgrade the entire
> system.I've spend several days trying to compile KDevelop from sources on
> RH 7 and failed at the end. I just could not spend more time on taking and
> building new packages. KDE requires so many latest tools and applications
> that it is almost impossible to build it for someone who is not accustomed
> to it.

Yes, I realize that this is an issue for some people. But I also want you to
understand that we do not have the manpower, or interest, in supporting
outdated versions of KDevelop. Version 4.6.0 is 2.5y old - not old by
corporate standards, but old enough in FOSS standards.

In general, as a developer, I can only recommend you to use the latest tools
available to you to increase your productivity. If that means installing a VM
with a more modern distro, then it may be worth it. If neither is allowed by
your employer, you'll either have to live with the brokenness, or seek a new
job ;-)

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff