Drupal Help Needed: Website needs to be updated to Drupal 7/8

Alexandre Courbot gnurou at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 23:40:38 BST 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 7:24 AM, Sven Brauch <mail at svenbrauch.de> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On 04/25/2016 12:20 AM, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
>> The actual matter might be deciding how much you really want comments
>> on kdevelop.org. :)
>
> Maybe we should really think about that. The occasional "well done"
> there is fun to read, but that's about it. The rest of the comments
> belongs in the bug tracker or on the mailing list, and having it in the
> comments section just leads to nobody seeing it for ages. I just
> recently moderated a bunch of comments which had been sitting in the
> moderation queue for many weeks.
> I think we might even be better off without the comments. Just put a
> link to the forum and all is good.

Just a personal opinion, but I came to mostly hate web-based comments.
Spam for the most, and the few legitimate ones are usually not
particularly interesting and do not justify the moderation effort.

I can understand the wish to have a comments section on a blog, where
one gives a detailed post about some technical detail and expects
feedback or corrections from peers. But on a project website, where
the purpose is to introduce the project to users and the communication
one-sided by design, the benefit of comments is much less obvious
IMHO.

Also as Sven cleverly pointed out, comments on a project's website
tend to end up as a bug reporting channel, at the expense of the
actual bug tracker. It's easier for users to just post a comment than
read the "report a bug" section, and that's what many naturally end up
doing.