kdevelop (4.90.90) on remote display?

Nicolai Hähnle-Montoro nhaehnle at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 19:18:21 GMT 2015

Dear Michael,

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Michael George Hart
<michael.george.hart at gmail.com> wrote:
> Being able to run
>
>      kdevelop --graphicssystem native
>
> Is a very important consideration for me and I bet it is for other
> developers to need to maintain extremely remote light weight linux systems.
>
> I have struggled to get gdbserver working effectively with kdevelop. Only
> the continue debug option works; break point, step over, step into, step out
> of, etc... do seem to do anything even though when i use gdb directly it
> does. So, I have resorted to running systems that has the bare minimum to
> run kdevelop remotely with the command line option "--graphicssystem native"

I have good news for you. KDevelop 5 should be able to work properly
with gdbserver.

The story for how to setup the connection and everything isn't that
nice yet (I'll have to put some more thought into that), but the basic
debugging primitives like breakpoints, stepping, etc. work once you
have established the connection. If you get the chance to try the
KDevelop master branch and it doesn't work, please let me know.

So you should eventually be able to run KDevelop 5 locally and debug
remotely, which is am IMO nicer way to work.

Cheers,
Nicolai
--
Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.