startup sequence

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 16:18:15 GMT 2015

Hi,

I have the impression that when opening a session currently, KDevelop loads the session's different projects, and starts parsing each project as it is finished loading. If true, this increases the time required to load the other projects and thus the time before "one can get to work". With CMake projects being loaded through a non-killable background job, it also increases the time one has to wait in order to close the session cleanly if ever one misclicked (and during which on OS X >= 10.9 one better has to keep KDevelop the front application if one doesn't want to trigger what must be app nap flaws).

I think this approach could be improved by postponing the parsing start, which in turn could probably be done with some kind of trigger (semaphore) with which the parsing job could still be created immediately after a project has been loaded.

What do you think? How difficult would it be for someone not very well acquainted with kdevelop's internals to come up with a draft?

Thanks,
René