SymLinks

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 23:53:45 GMT 2015

On Tuesday December 08 2015 22:24:30 Sven Brauch wrote:
> On 08/12/15 18:42, Leon Pollak wrote:
> > Why the symlink is substituted?

> A lot of programs do this,
> including even some shells.
^ ? Oh? Other than with directories?

> What is the use case for this workflow?

I guess the OP also has foo.cpp.new, and was planning to switch between the 2 by redirecting the symlink.
This would work with `make`, though I'm not certain if cmake isn't going to be too clever and notice the sneaky things going on behind its back. If not, one could argue that KDevelop should treat the symlink as if it were the file it's pointing to.

Note that that would include keeping the link intact. AFAIK, KDevelop moves the old file and saves a new copy when saving, which also makes it impossible to use hardlinks (something one do to have a backup when the "original" file is deleted by accident, or to let a single file be interpreted as C or C++ depending on the link's extension).

R.