git commit message and global template

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 13:34:21 GMT 2015

On Thursday December 03 2015 12:25:23 Kevin Funk wrote:

Hi,

>I don't see any trace of pulling in a Git commit message template, but I do
>something that remembers old commit messages (see
>VCSCommitDiffPatchSource::addMessageToHistory).

yes, that one is helpful too, but in a different way.

>Patches welcome I'd say -- would be helpful to honor the Git commit message
>template (`git config commit.template`) here, and use it in the commit message
>editor.

Thought so too.
.gitconfig is in INI format or something that's hopefully close enough that one can use KConfig to check if there's a template key in the commit group;
if so the feature should be as easy to implement as it is to fetch the contents of the file...

R.