Usability suggestions and questions

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 15:29:20 GMT 2015

On Monday November 30 2015 18:55:29 Milian Wolff wrote:

Hi,

>> If any of the above suggestions/questions can be addressed by someone who's
>> not a seasoned Qt/KDE dev (nor a highly expert C++ dev), I'd be happy to
>> get some pointers and start tweaking!
>
>Sure, learning by doing. Settings is going to be hard. The other should be
>doable. Look into sublime and how it handles Views and ToolViews. For editor
>views, making them top-level widgets by setting a null parent could be enough
>already, but then you'll also need to clean them up when the window gets
>closed etc. pp.

Good points, and yeah, most of my programming "expertise" comes from learning by doing (most of my expertise as a scientist too, in fact :))

Anyway, I should be almost at the point where I can install the last (non-framework) dependencies of KDevelop5, and KDevelop5 is high on the todo list now that I have at least an initial fix to the issues I see with the use of the "bare-bones" native Qt theme on OS X.

About that, and referring back to the tabbed editor interface: is KDevelop5 (or Kate5) still using what I'll call a "tab selector widget" to implement editor tabs in the main window?

Here's what that can end up looking like (the widget which has "Behavior" selected). Even if the font issue shown there is solved (or the huge default system font is used throughout) there remains another issue: this widget was never designed to have as many elements as one might have open in KDevelop. I checked with KDevelop4 yesterday; the number of open documents is quickly reached where the tabs only show an ellipsis to indicate that there is not enough space to show the text (and adding a close button doesn't improve anything of course).

Cheers,

R.