kdevelop idle CPU usage (4.7/1.7)

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Apr 16 13:09:41 BST 2015

On Tuesday 24 March 2015 18:37:24 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Tuesday March 24 2015 17:57:35 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> > This takes *a certain time* to load, and even more to (re)parse, something
> > I usually stop immediately because it is of no interest. So I hit "Stop
> > All" as soon as the initial import is finished. The progress indicator
> > then disappears as expected, but KDevelop continues to use about 20% CPU
> > for as long as I've cared to monitor this.
> >
> > What can be causing this? I thought I could blame the kdev-python plugin
> > but deactivating that didn't reduce CPU usage.

Please attach a profiler and figure out where the CPU time is spent. This does
not sound good at all. But without help from your side that tells us where the
CPU cycles are spent there is nothing we can do.

> In this context: what's the difference between not letting the parser run
> when a project is loaded, and deactivating the background parser? Am I
> right that the latter is a much more invasive/disruptive option and if so,
> why is the former not a per-session option?

Both should be a per-session setting, if that's not the case then we should
change it.

The difference between the two is, well - what the labels say ;-) One will
decide whether to feed all files in a project to the background parser after
the project was opened. The other will disable the background parser
completely and thus you'll never get any fancy language integration at all.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de