How to quickly copy current filename?

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Nov 28 18:25:56 GMT 2014

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 7:15 PM, Aleksey Midenkov <midenok at gmail.com> wrote:

> Among the others, Copy from project tree does not do what is expected,
> but copies URL. Using URLs in Unix is like using XML for config files
> -- non-human friendly, just absurd! Besides, it doesn't compatible
> with GDB and GNU fileutils.
>
> And as I said -- it is not instant access. About that shortcut "CTRL +
> <", does it open project tab? Because if it doesn't work with project
> tab closed, then it is unusable!
>
> Clutter what? Context menu on tab is too meager. In fact, many places
> in KDevelop is meager on UI. Four options can result in 2 menu
> entries: with Shift or not.
>
> P.S. I just think why I stick to KDevelop? With v3 pro against Eclipse
> was lightweight. Now it is heavyweight and slow and in fact doesn't do
> much additional value. But additionally buggy, ugly, clumsy and
> inconvenient. So, no real reason to not switch to Eclipse...
>
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Shervin Emami <shervin.emami at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > That sounds like a useful feature! (A "More Actions" menu that shows the
> > whole list from the project menu). I actually need to find the full
> filename
> > quite often (roughly 5 times per day) but I'm still using KDevelop 4.3.1
> (on
> > Debian Wheezy KDE) so I don't even see a "Copy" item in my Project
> Explorer
> > file menu. To get the full filename I usually click File -> Open then
> copy
> > the path somewhere then go back to KDevelop and copy the rest of the
> > filename. So I'd be quite happy with a "Copy" command that is in both the
> > Project Explorer and the tab "More Actions" entry :-)
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Shervin Emami.
> > http://www.shervinemami.info/

> full

> will

> the
> think

> >> Well, that's non-obvious for newcomers.

> >> Another idea I had in mind some time already: Let's just show the
> context
> >> menu
> >> of project tree view items in the tab context menu as well. I.e. "RMB on
> >> tab"
> >> -> More Actions. (Note that there are people not having the project tree
> >> view
> >> open by default)
> >>
> >> Example use-case: One might want to rename the current document, and you
> >> could
> >> do so by doing RMB on tab -> More Actions -> Rename.
> >>
> >> This would also cover the issue of Aleksey here.
> >>
> >> Opinions?

Aleksey, even if I agree with many things you say, I dislike your tone.
I've yet to see any patch from yours, you probably see us as your slaves,
but it's not really the case. We work on what we deem necessary and useful.
I've never needed such a feature myself. Feature requests are fine, but I
understand them as a favor request. So yes, you probably should be using
Eclipse instead. I'm sure there you'll find the platform you're looking for.

Regarding the actual feature, I agree it could be added for now in the tab
widget. A KUrl::pathOrUrl can be used (or the appropriate Qt5 port). Even
so, I'm unsure we need a "More Actions..." submenu, but we can just extend
it, no?
Furthermore, there's a couple of important UI changes I'd like to get
settled by the next sprint. But I'd like them to come from a proper UI
design rather than small tweaks here and there.

Aleix