build options

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 17:56:19 GMT 2014

On Friday November 14 2014 11:17:49 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> What's slow these days about plain 'install' (in ninja, anyway)? IIRC
> 'install' has switched to checking just time stamps and so it should be
> about as fast as possible while retaining some chance of being correct.

Make install will issue a regular make (or so it seems) to ensure that only updated things get installed, so if you just did a separate make you end up having to wait for a lot of output scrolling over your terminal.

I actually do not see how ninja could escape from doing that; as it's an external tool it is just as non-aware of changes made to source or make files as make is. The only difference might be that it doesn't print so much before it actually does something.

R.