build options

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 12:30:57 GMT 2014

On Friday November 14 2014 12:41:20 Aleix Pol wrote:

> I wouldn't. Make merges the output when there's different jobs and
> sometimes looks weird... If people want a proper tool to build, they should

True, but if you need to do debugging you can always step down to -j1 instead of doing things the other way around.

OTOH, I think that the default for targets like test/check and install ought to be -j1, and it may be asking too much from make (or ninja) to guess whether parallel execution is appropriate.

> just use ninja, IMHO.

Last time I check, cmake didn't generate an install/fast target when using ninja. And that's really a nice one when tweaking large projects ...

R.