Sharing kdevelop preferences via git

Raymond Wan rwan.work at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 07:35:08 GMT 2014

Dear Milian, Nicolai, and Matthew,

Sorry for the late reply, but I was away from e-mail for a
few days.

On Wednesday, December 03, 2014 09:05 PM, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 December 2014 16:02:49 Raymond Wan wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I guess this is a mix git + kdevelop question.  But, I think
>> between the two, this question is perhaps more relevant to
>> kdevelop (correct me if I am wrong!).
>>
>> I am working on a software project with other collaborators
>> and we seem to all be using kdevelop (so far).  In the hopes
>> of trying to standardize tabbing, spacing, etc. we are
>> wondering if it is possible to combine all of the source
>
> This "depends". The quick (and sad) answer is that, yes, sharing KDevelop
> preferences over git is basically impossible. However for the usecase you
> describe above, you can use a .kateconfig file in your project, which you can
> also share over git. In there, you can specify Kate modelines (see also the
> answer by Nicolai). This allows you to at least configure the editor to use
> the proper spacing etc. pp.

Thank you for this!  That's what I was looking for!

Honestly, I never heard of the term modelines before and
that prevented me from finding out what I needed to know.
Typing "git and kdevelop" with other terms after into Google
kept giving me pages describing how git is integrated into
kdevelop.  :-)

I was playing with it today and it seems if I change the tab
width (or anything else), the change is successful, but
within the GUI, the value isn't updated.  Is this expected
behavior?

Also, tab-width seems to work, but something like this:

current-line-color #ff0000;

does not.  (Yes, red is an annoying colour, but I am just
playing with it; I'm not sure if I will really keep it red.)

Is this what you and Nicolai were referring to?  Modelines
associated with spacing, etc. will work, but something like
current-line-color will not?

> All other KDevelop specific settings are, currently, not shareable however.
> This is a long-standing feature request, but relatively complicated to
> implement, which is why none did the work for that so far. The biggest
> obstacle is finding a proper GUI for the settings, such that users can define
> where settings should be stored. Then, all code needs to be refactored that
> reads/writes configuration values, as we then suddenly need to take the
> different configuration levels into account. Not impossible, but not easy
> either.

That is ok!  I think when it comes to programming
collaborations, spacing is perhaps the most contentious
setting.  Even current-line-color (above) doesn't really
matter...I think I was just trying to understand how
modelines work.

>> As a related aside, does anyone have any suggested reading
>> on how to set up a Project.  Or, alternatively, what can go
>> into the .kdev4 files?  I feel like I'm not using the notion
>> of "Projects" to its full potential...
>
> The .kdev4 files are, in their current state, pretty useless. We store
> practically no information in there. They are still required though to tell
> KDevelop which project manager to use.
>
> Something to improve for the future, definitely.

I see.  The default one created only has 2 lines and I
always wondered if there is a syntax to them that would
allow me to edit them.

Thanks for explaining it to me so that I won't keep Googling
for something that for a future version.

Ray