[kdevplatform] shell: Favour strongly distinct working set icons

Matthew Woehlke matthew.woehlke at kitware.com
Tue Dec 24 16:40:01 GMT 2013

On 2013-12-24 11:29, Leon Pollak wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 December 2013 11:21:52 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> May be I miss something here.
>>> I thought that the person who creates explicitly the new set (and
>>> this is done only by somebody who understands what he is doing),
>>> such a question will not raise a question.
>>> And if even yes,is it a big deal to answer a question like "Type a
>>> letter to identify your new set"?
>>> The default set may be identified by 'C' for Code.
>>
>> How does this work in languages that don't use a Latin alphabet?
>> Especially e.g. any of the Asian logographic languages? (And are we
>> then back at assigning random ideograms? Also, do you think you know
>> enough about international keyboards to restrict the choices to
>> available keyboard keys?)
> I am definitely not in the stream!
>
> KDEVELOP is the instrument for programmers.
> Are there any in the world who does not know English alphabet and still
> write code?
> How do they write programs without Latin keyboard?

As I have almost zero experience with such, I couldn't tell you :-). I
wouldn't be willing to bet that there aren't people writing code in
not-English, however.

The point is that using Latin letters raises a 'how will this work in
other languages?' concern for me. I'd feel more comfortable with such a
scheme if we had input from a few folks using KDevelop in e.g. Russian
and Chinese/Japanese/Korean (i.e. Cyrillic keyboard users and
logographic language users).

--
Matthew