kdevelop and debug with libtool

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Fri Nov 9 20:46:25 GMT 2012

On 10.11.2012 00:24, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> I can't beleive people here just use the console instead: it will make the debug tools from
>> >kdevelop quite useless, since, AFAIK, libtool projects are quite predominant over simple binary
>> >projects
> That actually depends on where you look and who you ask. I haven't
> touched any autotools or libtool-using project since 2006 or 2007
> (ever since I stopped working on KDev3).
>
> And its not enough if the users are needing libtool support, it
> requires someone who has interest, time and the knowledge to work with
> gdb and it mi-interface. As far as I know this is anything but simple
> since its relatively badly maintained upstream, its hard to get stuff
> fixed upstream and often requires trial&error to work with it. (note
> this is based on various things that our previous gdb-expert said in
> the past, so it may be outdated these days).

Admittedly, official upstream MI maintainer (which is me) does not have a whole lot of time these days,
but libtool support is not something that requires any MI changes. One would just make libtool invoke
gdb on the actual binary (which is surely can), and run GDB in MI mode (on which I cannot really comment).

- Volodya