parsing of c++ template definitions in separate files

Raimar Sandner lists at 404not-found.de
Tue Apr 24 15:01:14 BST 2012

Hi,

I'm working with a project where most template definitions are in separate
*.tpp files. A minimal example follows:

The file main.cpp:
#include "foo.h"

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
  Foo<1> f;
}
The file foo.h:
#ifndef FOO_H
#define FOO_H

template<int R>
struct Foo
{
  void bar();
};
#include "foo.tpp"
#endif // FOO_H

The file foo.tpp:
template<int R>
void Foo<R>::bar()
{
}

Now when I edit foo.tpp, the semantic analysis cannot resolve the class Foo<R>
unless I #include "foo.h". This is safe because of the include guards, but if
possible I would like to avoid this workaround because I would need to
maintain a private branch of the project. Is there any other way to tell the
parser that when editing foo.tpp it should parse foo.h along with it?

Best regards
Raimar