Compiling Just One File.

Sergey Vidyuk sir.vestnik at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 14:50:57 BST 2011

On Wednesday 07 September 2011 14:31:52 Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 September 2011 23:26:20 Michael Hart wrote:
> > LOL!
> >
> >    I have been using kdevelop4 with cmake for sometime now and not
> >    until
> >
> > yesterday did I ever have the need to compile just one specific C++ file
> > in my entire project of about twenty plus *.cpp files. I would simply
> > press F8 key and be happy.
> >
> > However, now I would like experiment with the content of just one C++
> > file; compile it but not build the entire project. How do I do this
> > with kdevelop4?
>
> I don't get it, do you want to compile a "hello-world"-style file, i.e.
> without any external dependencies and such? Then take a look at the "quick
> compile" external script which just calls gcc on the file.
>
> bye

As far as I can understand Michael talking about a feature which is really
missing in Kdevelop4. Compile single file from a project without recompiling
whole project. With cmake it's possible to run

With cmake it can be done in the following way:

cd ${CMAKE_BUILD_DIR}
make -C ${CPP_FILE_SUBDIR_IN_SOURCE_TREE} ${CPP_FILE_NAME}.o

Sergey