GSoC idea : Revive autotools module

Detlev Casanova detlev.casanova at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 12:54:00 BST 2011

Hello !
I mentionned the idea of reviving the autotools module for this google summer
of code and on IRC and PovRay seemed to be interrested.

I think the project will fit for a GSoC in amount of work as there are also
lots of improvements in autotools (such as caching, colors, progressbars (?),
...). And it would be great to add support for those new features.

I'm not familiar with yacc or bison but they don't seem to hard to learn and I
have followed a course on lexical parsers this year.
Also, I'm only a basic user of autotools and I'm not sure kde can easily find
me a mentor who knows it well.

For the rest (as C++, Qt, KDE, CMake) I have a quite good experience.

I have looked at the kde svn repository at
/trunk/playground/devtools/kdevelop4-extra-plugins/automake
There's a version which gets some patches some times but I haven't been able
to compile it (at least, not with kdevplatform 1.2.0)
I don't know if it's supposed to work out of the box with the latest version
of kdevelop. If this is the case, this project idea doesn't make any sense.

So, in the case it does make sense, I'll write a proposal.

Thanks !

PS: I'm Cazou on irc.

Detlev Casanova.