Couple of question about new KDevelop

Igor Korot ikorot01 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 08:45:13 BST 2011

Andreas,

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 17.04.11 15:26:14, Igor Korot wrote:
>> >
>> > KDevelop has no support for autotools, hence there's no point in
>> > providing templates for autotools-based projects.
>> >
>> > In addition everybody is free to submit and maintain application
>> > templates via bugreports or reviewboard, the develop team is too small
>> > to maintain lots of different app-templates that they don't use
>> > themselves. There were lots of unmaintained templates in kdev3 that
>> > didn't even work.
>>
>> Don't know about others, but this one worked fine without any problems.
>> Now, is there a plan to support autotools-based projects in KDevelop 4?
>> Maybe then this particular template can be integrated...
>
> No, unless someone volunteers to work on the code.

Hm, OK. It probably should be pretty simple to port existing Kdevelop
3 template to
KDevelop 4.
But yes, I hear you. Open-source GPL projects are always in need of
some people...

>> > Your best bet is running configure in the project from a shell, that'll
>> > generate a Makefile which you can open as a custom-makefile project.
>>
>> OK, let me go a little further:
>>
>> main project directory
>> |

>> -------> debug
>> |           |----------------> Makefile
>> |           |---------------> Makefile.in
>> |           |---------------> src
>> |
>> |-----------> configure
>> |-----------> src
>>
>> This is what I have from the KDevelop 3 project.
>>
>> So in order to open this in KDevelop 4 I should go to
>> <main_project_directory>/debug and open the
>> file called "Makefile". Am I right?
>
> That won't work IIRC, you'll then not see the actual source files under
> /src/. You'll have to run configure in the project directory so that the
> Makefile's are in the same directory as the sources.

So I should run configure script from the <main_project_directory>?
And then open the Makefile from <main_project_directory>/src?

>> > As I said, most things simply don't apply anymore. Hence there's no
>> > point in asking the same questions. Anyway, if someone wants to do that
>> > the team would be happy to intergate the content into the website I
>> > think.
>>
>> As a quick example: how do I create a .so project and link my
>> application against it?
>
> KDevelop does not have anything to do with that, its a FAQ for your
> buildtool and should be answered there.
>
>> I understand that the answer might be different because the interface
>> changed, but
>> the question still remains.
>
> Well, the only thing to be said about this particular thing is:
> KDevelop does not have a GUI to add shared libraries. I don't think
> thats useful in a faq, it should be put into the kdev3 vs. kdev4
> comparison page.

Not sure what do you mean here.
I could've made a subproject to build a shared library in KDevelop 3.
Does this mean that in KDevelop 4 I can build executable only?
Or KDevelop 4 is not ready to build a library? Or it's my version?

Thank you.