Import Automake Project in Kdevelop4?

Nicolas Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 00:55:35 GMT 2010

Rob Frohne wrote:
> I may not have included something needed in the Kdevelop4 build, because
> when I go to import the project, the little drop down menu (Build
> System) has nothing in it and I can do nothing but go back to the

Can you explain in detail how you installed kdevelop?

The expected steps are:

- Get the code kdevplatform and kdevelop
- Create a separate build directory for kdevplatform, and run cmake, telling
it where to install
- Build kdevplatform (make)
- Install kdevplatform (make install)
- Create a separate build directory for kdevelop, and run cmake, telling it
to install in the same place as kdevplatform.
- Build kdevelop (make)
- Install kdevelop (make install)
- Add the kdevelop installation directory to KDEDIRS, along with the default
"/usr". For example: export KDEDIRS=$HOME/local/kdevelop. To avoid problems,
you should modify KDEDIRS for your entire session (eg. with a script in
~/.kde/env) and restart KDE.
- If you modify KDEDIRS "locally" (not for entire session + restart), you
should now run kbuildsycoca4.
- Now start kdevelop!

If you don't set KDEDIRS for the entire session, it's possible that another
application will rebuild the sycoca database, *without* having the kdevelop
directory in KDEDIRS. That would cause the KDevelop information to disappear
from the sycoca database, and soon, KDevelop may crash or features may
mysteriously disappear *while you're using it*.

(In the future, all the above steps would be replaced by "install kdevelop4
from your Linux distro repository". But we're not quite there yet :P)

--
Nicolas