Call for Help: Drupalify the KDevelop website

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Dec 30 14:36:23 GMT 2010

Sam S., 29.12.2010:
> Hi again KDevelop team,
>
> this seems like a fitting occasion for me to throw in some lines again
> on this mailing list.

Hey Sam, long time no see :)

> > our current website is unmaintainable and contains lots of obsolete
> > legacy content. I want to improve that by creating a new website based
> > on Drupal and link to the current website for legacy content (KDevelop
> > 3.x).
>
> The old custom CMS does have its charm, and is certainly well
> customized for the specific content that has accumulated there over
> time (and there is *a lot* of content there, especially considering
> translations, etc).
>
> But if you plan to make a "fresh start" with new KDevelop 4 content,
> then Drupal is indeed a great choice.
> The Drupal nodes, fields, views, and taxonomy features should easily
> satisfy all the content structuring and displaying needs the KDevelop
> website might have.
> Even "advanced features" which I envisioned in my original design
> mockups[1] (in case you still care about that), like a breadcrumb-bar
> and context-aware "quick access link" boxes, should be fairly
> straightforward, once the underlying content structure is set up
> properly.

Yep, Drupal is powerful and works well.

> > My current WIP is already in git, in the kdev-www drupal branch, see:
> > https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/kdevelop/kdev-
> > www/repository/show?rev=drupal
>
> A few comments after taking a quick look at the repository:
>
> 1) I'm not sure how much sense it makes to track a Drupal installation
> in a Git repository, seeing as the actual website data (structure,
> content, configuration, customization...) lives inside the MySQL
> database, not in the file tree.
> The only thing that definitely makes sense to track with Git is the
> implementation of the custom theme.
> Furthermore, a script of "Drush"[2] commands, or a "Drush Make"[3]
> makefile, capable of reproducing a Drupal installation file tree
> (Drupal core + modules + theme) identical to that of the live website
> could be kept around (and up-to-date) either in Git or in the Wiki.

I didn't know drush make before, thanks I'll try that out eventually. It
sounds like it really would make it possible to only track the theme in git,
much better.

> 2) You shouldn't put contributed modules into the "modules/" directory
> directly underneath the Drupal root, but instead into the
> "sites/all/modules/" directory.
> (To cite the Drupal documentation[5]: "The modules folder at the top
> level of your Drupal installation is reserved for Drupal core modules
> (the ones that come with the original download of Drupal). So, you
> should generally create a sites/all/modules/ directory and put
> uploaded modules there.")

Oh boy, some years of Drupal usage and I didn't know this ;-) Thanks.

> > Furthermore we have server space provided by the nice guys at Kollide.net
> > (which also host Konversation, Amarok, ...).
>
> Do you have ssh access to that server space?
> If so, you can use the aforementioned "Drush" tool also for
> installing/updating modules on the live site (as well as performing
> various other administrative tasks). It will make your life easier...

Yes, I have full SSH access and will try out drush make soon.

Thanks,

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de