Qt designer

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Mar 9 16:32:09 GMT 2009

On 09.03.09 10:16:40, DavJTanner at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 3/7/2009 7:35:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  apaku at gmx.de
> writes:
> On  07.03.09 19:02:57, DavJTanner at aol.com wrote:
> >  Versions:
> > kde: 3.5.9,
> > kdevelop: 3.5.2,
> > qt 4:  4.3.3,
> > Qt designer: 4.3.3.
> >
> > This is probably a  Gentoo issue, but I wonder if you have heard of  it?
>
> So you're  using the standalone Qt4 designer? If so I suggest to ask in  the
> qt-interest list or file a bugreport with Gentoo. I've never seen  Qt4
> designer have no icons on the buttons.
>
> Note though that Qt4  designer doesn't support the same kind of
> slot-creation that Qt3 designer  supported. You can instruct it to expect a
> given slot, so it'll generate a  connect statement, but there's no
> code-editing inside Qt4 designer, so you  have to declare and define the
> slot outside (i.e. in kdevelop)  yourself.
>
> I used Qt4 designer because the new version of kdevelop connected me  to it
> (I hadn't visited kde/kdevelop in over 2 years).  I assumed this was  just the
> latest version of designer.  When the icons were missing, I  wondered what
> else could be missing in error.  Now that I know the omission  is not an error I
> say, "Without the code generating features of Qt3 desugener,  what good is
> it?"  I have subsequently found where Qt3 designer lives and  will see if it will
> work with Qt4.  I am also really turned off by the  "scattered windows"
> interface of Qt4 designer.

No you can't use qt3 designer for Qt4 GUI's, but for designing your Qt4
designer still works very well and it also has a mdi view similar to Qt3
designer.

> I found the solution to the missing icons on the Gentoo forums:
> _http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-566618-highlight-designer.html_
> (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-566618-highlight-designer.html)  (the  last
> post).  Why this happened in the distribution and what the fix  does is "black
> magic" to me. And the emerge with the new USE  options, offered other issues.  I
> like Gentoo, but when things don't work  right, it becomes very frustrating.
> I guess this criticism applies to all  of linux.

No it does not, for example _I_ _never_ had any such problems with my
distributions supplied Qt4 designer. Also may I kindly suggest to take your
linux rants to another place, this is a kdevelop user mailinglist.

Andreas

--
Truth will out this morning.  (Which may really mess things up.)