How to keep vars

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jun 11 20:35:14 BST 2009

On 11.06.09 19:36:16, Andre Poenitz wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 02:04:25PM +0200, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 11.06.09 12:46:30, Leon Pollak wrote:
> > > Hello, all.
> > >
> > > I am on FC10 with the with the kdevelop 3.5.4.
> > >
> > > When I am in the debugger and open some structure in the variable window by
> > > clicking on its '+' sign, the structure content is displayed.
> > >
> > > Now, imagine that I set a breakpoint and want to see the structure content
> > > each time the BP is hit - very annoying: each time the BP is hit, the
> > > structure is closed and I need to reopen it with the '+' click.
> > >
> > > Can somebody advice how to avoid this?
> >
> > You can't currently. I'm not if its even possible with current gdb as gdb
> > needs to tell us stable variable names such that the GUI can remember the
> > open/close state of its tree.
>
> It is surely possible with any debugger as long as the GUI remembers
> what is open and re-create it as needed.

Well, the problem here is to know wether an item in the tree still exists
in the actual application. Which means we'd have to ask gdb for each
variable on all open subtree's if it still exists. And as far as I know the
last GDB MI version that KDevelop3 was adjusted to use was anything but
fast when retrieving tons of variables. Hence doing that can be really
expensive, especially if the debugger doesn't tell you when a variable goes
out of scope, you have to do this refetching on each single step.

Andreas

--
Beware of a tall blond man with one black shoe.