Areas and Working Sets: why?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Dec 18 15:01:34 GMT 2009

On 18.12.09 16:12:11, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Friday 18 December 2009 16:08:37 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>
> > On 18.12.09 11:52:08, dyle wrote:
> > > But the KDevelop offers many more great stuff so I want to use it.

> > > - why this Areas are good?
> >
> > Because they allow you to group views, especially toolviews depending on
> > what you want to do. For example I don't want or need a "Variables"
> > toolview while I'm coding. Area's give a nice way of switching between
> > different things I want to do inside the IDE and storing the UI layout I've
> > used when I last debugged/coded.
> >
> > > - why Working Sets are good?
> >
> > Note: I don't use them.
> >
> > Presumly they allow you to easily switch between different sets of files.
> > So for example you work on feature X and along the way notice bug Y. Now
> > you first want to fix bug Y before going on with the feature, so you close
> > your workingset (which has all files necessary to work on feature X) and
> > start a new one by opening a file that you need to fix bug Y.
> >
> > In current svn I didn't see any problems with simply not using them, i.e.
> > always working in the same workingset (except when switching areas).
>
> Can we make them optional, though?

Not without bloating the code and frankly I don't see a reason for that. I
don't use them and they're not in my way in any way (I'm talking about
Workingsets), so one can simply ignore their existence and be done with it.
Writing lots of extra code just to not show the icons is not worth it IMHO.

Andreas

--
You enjoy the company of other people.