Why kdevelop uses single quotes in shell expressions?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jan 10 20:09:13 GMT 2008

On 08.01.08 11:06:56, Jörg Becker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering why kdevelop use single quotes instead of double quotes in shell
> expressions.
>
> My concrete problem: I have a platform and compiler dependent build directory
> which looks like this:
> ../../obj/Debug-`uname -i`-gcc`gcc -dumpversion`
>
> Unfortunately this is single quoted by kdevelop (e.g. for mkdir and cd)  and
> therefore not evaluated. This means I have to multiply my build
> configurations for each platform/compiler combination, which is a maintenance
> nightmare.
>
> What is the reason for using single quotes instead of double quotes? Double
> quotes would allow variable expressions and would avoid nothing.

Can you elaborate a bit when exactly those calls are done? I'm
suspecting its when you build your project, but I can't quite see why
there would be a mkdir call... Also please tell us which kind of project
you use, i.e. language and buildsystem (autotools, qmake, custom
makefiles).

Andreas

--
You are fairminded, just and loving.