Debugger - gdb process exit

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Wed Nov 7 17:00:03 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 07 November 2007 19:41:31 Alvin wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 November 2007 12:33:57 Leon Pollak wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I also experienced this problem a lot of times with my gdb-6.7.2. Then I
> > tried to downgrade to gdb-6.6 and the problem disappeared.
> >
> > On Wednesday 07 November 2007 18:01, Alvin wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I have been experiencing a bug with the integrated debugger in KDevelop
> > > 3.5.0.1 in KDE 3.5.8 release 21.2 on openSUSE 10.2.
> > >
> > > When I examine a variable in the sidebar, the gdb process exists as soon
> > > as I leave a function. The gdb plane states:
> > >
> > > ---
> > > /bin/sh -c libtool
> > > gdb /encrypted/devel/MyApp/debug/./src/myapp --interpreter=mi2 -quiet
> > > Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
> > > (gdb) Process exited
> > > ---
> > >
> > > The myapp program will then continue to run.
> > >
> > > This occurs when the variable is under Locals, Watch, and Recent. This
> > > also occurs for both Automake and Custom Makefile projects.
> > >
> > > I have tried kdbg and this doesn't not happen. I much rather use
> > > KDevelop's debugger though.
> > >
> > > Anyone else seeing this "Process exited" message when leaving a function?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Alvin
>
> I have gdb 6.7-15.1 installed. It came from the KDevelop repo. I downgraded to
> 6.5-28 which was available from the openSUSE 10.2 suse-oss repo.
>
> The internal debugger seems to be working properly now.

Well, it really would be best to figure the reason for the crash. There's
some important development in gdb CVS (in particular related to breakpoints
in shared libraries), and KDevelop will soon make use of that, so it's better
to figure what's up.

(BTW, are there any variables of type 'char *'?)

- Volodya