Locals update in debugger

Leon Pollak leonp at plris.com
Tue May 15 11:52:38 BST 2007

On Tuesday 15 May 2007, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 May 2007 14:19, Leon Pollak wrote:
> > > Current gdb has functionality to avoid reading some variables --
> > > incidentally, developed exactly to prevent reading various FIFO buffers
> > > on each step.
> > >
> > > I'd just need to update KDevelop to use that.
> > > - Volodya
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Does this means that you accept the suggestion to expand content only by
> > user request? This will significantly simplify my debugging, as my link
> > speed is slow...:-(
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. Now, individual variables are supposed to
> be expanded only when you click on the "+" next to them. Is it not the case
> sometimes?
I suspect - no. Description below:
When I enter (by stepping) the C++ method which has a small class (3-5 data
elements in class), the gdb's window becomes accessable (turns from gray to
white) in about a second.
When I step into a method with a lot of data in it's class, gray changes to
white in 5-6 seconds.
Here I conclude that content of "this" is extracted from the target at each
step.
Isn't this correct?
--
Leon