Google Summer of Code

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 17 00:08:15 GMT 2007

On Friday 16 March 2007, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> Hey!
> If you would like to participate in Google SOC and working on KDevelop
> related project it's high time to submit an application. The deadline is
> 24th March!
>
> Some ideas for KDevelop SoC projects:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Summer_of_Code/2007/Ideas#KDevelop_.26_Qua
>nta Some ideas from last year:
> http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php/Google_SOC_2006_Project_Proposa
>ls You're of course welcome to submit your own proposal.
I think the proposal for the ruby parser/code completion is great, and I will
be happy to help mentor that one. Here are my thoughts about other ruby
support features for KDevelop4:

- Interactive visual irb. Like a Smalltalk environment I think ruby projects
should be developed against an always running program. This makes code
completion much easier as we can use ruby's runtime introspection instead of
faking it with a combination of a static parser and guesswork. Can this be
done if the language is text based, rather than image based like Smalltalk?
How do we save state in between sessions?

- A better ruby debugger. The current KDevelop ruby debugger is in pure ruby
and is very slow and doesn't work with Rails. The next one should be based on
the C ruby-debug project and integrate with qtruby/korundum in the same way
as the current debugger, as well as actually working with Rails.

- Support for QtRuby/Korundum Rails activeresource projects. The recent
release of Rails allows project to be based on RESTful style where the same
controller method can server up html, xml or rss etc formats. This means that
QtRuby is a great way to write rich web clients that leave AJAX/Flash for
dead if only we can have great IDE support for it (ie integrated Qt Designer,
downloading qtruby code from the web server, graphic UI to the Rails
scafolding etc). The Rails app on the server sends an xml message which is
then converted into a ruby class at the client end by ActiveResource, and
QtRuby can then use it as a basis for a Qt::ActiveItemModel to drive a
Qt::TableView or Qt::TreeView, or forms containing Qt::LineEdit etc with data
bound from the ActiveResource instance.

- Alternatively, QtRuby/Korundum work great with ActiveRecord and we can add
support to KDevelop for developing database applications visually. NeXT's
Enterprise Object Framework did this fine over ten years ago, and I would
like to do much the same thing but with ActiveRecord. Rails is very much text
based, and it would be nice to develop database applications
diagrammatically.

- Combining ActiveResource with ActiveRDF, and free text indexing will allow
new types of application to be written. I have a prolog inference engine that
I have ported from an Objective-C one that I wrote. I think this would be a
perfect match to extend ActiveRDF to do inferencing on SPARQRL endpoints.
There is already a simple rule engine for ActiveRDF, but I think it would be
much more powerful with prolog style backtracking. So this is a perfect
student project in my opinion.

-- Richard