Google Soc 2007 Project

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Sun Jan 28 18:15:21 GMT 2007

On Saturday, 27. January 2007 23:15, Luc Trudeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if it's the best place to post this, but I would be interested
> in participating in the 2007 SoC. I was looking at the 2006 projects and I
> was wondering which have been done and which are still available.

Done:
- Teamwork mode, by David Nolden
(Covered in the commit digest - http://commit-digest.org/issues/2006-09-10/)
- C# support, which was my SoC project
(http://code.google.com/soc/kde/appinfo.html?csaid=4F5F5ADA972335B7)

Partly done, but has not been finished:
- Refactoring framework, by Tom Stephenson
(http://code.google.com/soc/kde/appinfo.html?csaid=1F5ADCAD5ED613FB)

Bringing refactoring forward, and all the other projects from
http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php/Google_SOC_2006_Project_Proposals
are still to be done, and maybe we'll still get a few more ideas for next
year's SoC.

That said, if you really like KDevelop, you don't need to wait for the SoC to
begin, you could join right in and start working on something that you'd like
to bring forward. (As seen with David Nolden and myself, having hacked on
KDevelop before the SoC starts raises your credibility and chances to be
selected as SoC participant a lot.)

> I was also wondering what are the new project available for 2007.
> I now i'm pretty early but preffer being to early than to late :)

I think it's reasonable for the KDevelop team not to post any SoC suggestions
when SoC 2007 hasn't even been announced by Google yet. When they do so,
expect to see an updated suggestions page right away.

Basically, my impression is that getting the basics right is more important
than some of the highly ambitious projects on the suggestions list. After
getting 3.4 out of the door, we'd really appreciate some help with getting
KDevelop 4 to run as well as 3.4 does.

I guess the best idea will be to post a mail to the "kdevelop-devel" mailing
list, as some important developers are not subscribed to the "kdevelop" one.
If you've got IRC, you're also advised to give #kdevelop a visit. Look out for
Alexander Dymo (adymo), Matt Rogers (mattr), Jens Dagerbo (teatime) and
Andreas Pakulat (apaku), they are the ones that are currently driving
KDevelop development.

Have fun,
  Jakob