Detached windows

Alexander Dymo dymo at ukrpost.ua
Tue Jan 16 22:03:12 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 20:21, Roland Krause wrote:
> > > You won't get that. This is a limitation of the simple ideal mode
> > > enforced by Qt.
> No it's a limitation of the new IDEAl library which doesn't have the
> feature. KMdi is also based on Qt.
SimpleIdeal doesn't have undock feature by design (as long as several
other KMDI Ideal features like overlap). This of course doesn't mean that
Qt can't undock dockwidgets. It's SimpleIdeal which can't.

The primary goal of SimpleIdeal was quality and stability for the price of
missing features. In a few words we have no focus problems, allow toolview
keyboard navigation with simple alt-N(left/right) shortcuts, save mainwindow
layout and provide splitted editors for the price of missing toolview
overlapping and undocking and 3 more UI modes.

You can praise or blame us (or rather me ;)) for this decision but
I'd like to say that we are aware of this trade-off and aready working on
better solution. See my report for commit digest:
http://commit-digest.org/issues/2007-01-07/