autosave

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Apr 3 21:53:09 BST 2007

On 03.04.07 22:27:27, Jaikov wrote:
> > I guess you mean for the source files, thats something that the editor
> > has to do, thus any related setting would be under Settings->Configure
> > Editor.
>
> You're right, but there is no such option (using latest kdevelop 3.4 (svn)
> with a php-project which probably uses KTextEditor as its editor component -
> I have not found how to configure KTextEditor with autosave).

Seems so and it doesn't depend on the project type btw.

> > Also Note: I'm using Kdevelop3.4 (svn) on a daily bases and it didn't
> > crash for me since many weeks.
>
> Perhaps I get some more crashes than you, because I'm on a 64-bit machine.

No, I rather think you're seeing more crashes because you use kdevelop
for php development. There are various issues with the php support in
KDevelop (see bugs.kde.org for a nice list) and its completely
unmaintained. So my advice would be to use Quanta instead of KDevelop
for php development.

> (kdevelop crashes approximately twice per week, f.e. when mixing key-input and
> mouse-click in the editor while kdevelop is occupied with syntax checking (or
> auto completion?) and of course kdevelop ends also quite abrupt without
> saving, when X crashes or at a loss of power)

Seriously: What should kdevelop do when X crashes or power is lost? Yes
auto-save would help here, but you have to direct that request to the
Kate developers (kwrite-devel or a wishlist report on bugs.kde.org)

> So autosave would be really nice (I must admit that thanks to emacs and other
> applications I'm not used anymore to call save manually on a regular
> basis)...

Thats a bad habit ;) I somehow tend to save more often than I should and
the first thing I always do is disabling the auto-save feature of an
editor.

Andreas

--
Give him an evasive answer.