source code documentation variables

Wim-Jan Hilgenbos wimjan at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 29 21:03:00 BST 2006

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 21:04, kitts wrote:
> Is there any documentation of the various variables that i can insert in
> source files that would get replaced.
>
> I have found some variables used in template files such as $AUTHOR$. These
$AUTHOR$ is a CVS tag. I gets its info in checkin in an out of CVS. In case of
author this will never change of course :)

> get replaced with project author name on file creation. In the template i
> would like to add a header guard (available in C++ class generator but not
> C) like
>
> #ifndef __MYFILE_H__
> #define __MYFILE_H__
> #endif //__MYFILE_H__
>
> While these are variables from templates replaced only when a file is
> created, is there also a way to put stuff like a time stamp at a specific
> location every time a file is saved?

I standard use $Id$ and $Log$ in a file. The first will expand to filename,
versionnumber and date author etc, the last will add your checkin comment to
a list so you have an overview of why changes where made.
Some other people abhor that kind of thing, but I like it in my source file
instead of having to query CVS.
CVS has a lot of other tags for expanding and some rules when it does or does
not expand. To get the whole picture check the CVS manuals, specificly the
'co' command.

Most other versioning systems have functions like this, though not all as many
options.

Hope this helps,
Wim-Jan

--
-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Disclaimer:

GPG-public-key can be found at http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/index.html
~
~