qmake, qt and license question

kitts kitts at hotpop.com
Sun Jan 15 05:08:13 GMT 2006

On Sunday 15 January 2006 05:59 IST, Alvin wrote:
> On Saturday 14 January 2006 18:57, Jim Bodkikns (Dakotacom) wrote:
> >    My question is: is it possible to use kdevelop and kdevelop designer
> > without encountering the Qt license? (Commercial) What I am doing is
> > commercial, but has less value than a single Qt workstation license :).
>
> I used to use Qt (for in-house apps) cause the look'n feel matched KDE
> very nicely. However, I found the compile time too long; even for the
> smallest of apps. I have since switched to FLTK (http://www.fltk.org).
> It's lightweight, fast and its Plastic scheme looks great. AFAIK, there's
> no commercial license needed as it's LGPL.

Let me get this right... Does this mean that one can make proprietary closed
source KDE application using KDevelop and KDesigner without having to
purchase any license? At best i remember qt requiring a license for
commercial use and KDE apps tend to use QT!?

Or does this hold true if the application uses only the KDE API and never
the Qt API? I am a little confused.
--
Cheers!
kitts