Debugging shared libraries in KDevelop

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sun Oct 30 03:45:47 GMT 2005

Hi,

Today I tried to debug my application together with shared libraries
using KDevelop. After I run debugging session I see in the gdb output
panel many messages that gdb can not find source files
for my shared libraries in which I set breakpoints.
Next, I try to debug my app + *.so libraries using only gdb.
I set breakpoints and I also set paths to directories with sources
manually (to application and libraries sources).
After that gdb was able to find all sources required to browse execution
context of my shared libraries with sources (list command in gdb).

My project directories layout is rather complicated and here is the idea:

Main application sources directory:
$HOME/dev/myapp/src/

Shared libraries direcories (plugins):
$HOME/dev/myapp/plugins/abc
$HOME/dev/myapp/plugins/def
$HOME/dev/myapp/plugins/ghi

Installation paths:
$HOME/usr/bin
$HOME/usr/lib/myapp/plugins

I have KDevelop confiured to build and install my application + *.so
files according to the directories layout presented above. It works very
well.

Now, my question is:
How to automatically set all paths to all plugins directories in gdb
from KDevelop? I've not found any settings in the Project Options or in
KDevelop global options to do it.
Should I use any script or something like that?

I'd like to achieve the situation that when I start debugging session
from KDevelop, the IDE tells gdb where to find all sources for my
application and *.so libraries ($HOME/dev/myapp/plugins/abc and so on).

How to do it?

Thanks for your help
--
Mateusz Łoskot