sarge/debian kdevelop 2.1.5 kdelib doc indexing no-go

Peter Leopold peter.leopold at bioanalyte.com
Wed Sep 22 18:43:41 BST 2004

Discussion board <http://www.kdevelop.org:8080/phorum5/> for KDevelop,
KDE <http://www.kde.org> and Qt <http://www.trolltech.com> related stuff
links to www.kdevelop.org:8080, which rejects packets
from my client. What can I do to join the club?

In a FAQ without a working solution, I'm trying to
setup kdevelop 2.1.5 on a debian/sarge
installation. Everything works but the document
indexing. The KDE-Libraries-Doc path is not
set correctly. Sound familiar?

Using synaptic, I've apt-gotten just about every
kde and kdevelop *testing* package under the sun, excepting
obviously non-english language packages, games
and some art work. All libs, docs, libdocs, lib-devs,
lib-dev-docs, dev-docs, you name it.
No amount of apt-getting solves this path problem,
which is shocking to some debian devotees I know.

I've also apt-gotten every auxiliary tool mentioned
by the set-up wizard: kbabel, glimpse, htdig, everything.

The top n most likely paths (and subdirectories)
all fail, including
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/kde
/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML
/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en
/usr/share/doc/kdelibs
/usr/share/doc/kdelibs4
/usr/share/doc/kdelibs4-dev
/usr/share/doc/kdelibs4-doc (?? doc-doc? redundant and confusing)
/usr/share/doc-base/kdevelop-kdelibref

What's up? Missing links? Strangely, "ls /usr/share/doc/kdelib*"
shows content like "copyright changelog.Debian.gz README.gz" but
nothing that looks like documentation except /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en,
which doesn't work. Linking /usr/share/doc/kdelibs/HTML to the existing
HTML doesn' t work.

What do the READMEs say? Nothing of much use.

Specifically, from the kdevelop toplevel
Options->Kdevelop Setup ->Documents
Directories box: KDE-Libraries-Doc: = ???
Options box:: ->Update KDE-Documentation
                ->new KDE sources path:== leave blank? same as above??
(this is just a simple install, not a rebuild)
of the 3 options
    1. delete old docs/install  recent path
    2. delete old docs/install new path
    3. leave old docs/install new path
If 3, new KDE Libs Documentation Path==???
->Create Search Database?
->Start indexing? gives error "The KDE-Documentation-IPath isn't set
correctly."

Lastly, the kdevelop.org FAQ suggests moving htdig.conf
to $KDEDIR/share/apps/kdevelop/tools had no discernable
effecct. Neither did moving it to a likely second candidate
/usr/share/apps/kdevtools.

So the combinatorics lack a rational sorting
strategy and I through myself on the mercy of
the experts. Any thoughts, anyone?

--
Peter Leopold, Ph.D.
President