Is the location of backup~ files configurable?

Amit Upadhyay upadhyay at me.iitb.ac.in
Sat May 29 15:06:07 BST 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Steven T. Hatton wrote:

~ I don't like having backup and working files in the same directory.  One
~ reason is that it's messy.  Another reason is that the backups are subject to
~ loss if the directory is inadvertently lost.  I'm thinking about filing a bug
~ report on this because I /don't/ believe the location of backup files is
~ configurable.  My preference is to have a shadow directory tree that holds
~ the backups.  I.e., src/ui, src/math, src/db, would have back/src/ui,
~ back/src/math, back/src/db, or something along those lines.

What you are really looking for is cvs. I can not imagine programming
without it, its very helpful even if you are the only person working on
the project and work from the same machine all the time. Not only will you
get proper backup and version management, checkout-modify-commit-rm-rf
cycle can also increase your focus on what you are trying to achieve and
hence effeciency.

--
Amit Upadhyay