Don't hurry to upgrade was Re: unix style end of lines

Alejandro Exojo suy21 at lycos.es
Tue Jan 20 14:37:15 GMT 2004

El Martes, 20 de Enero de 2004 12:45, Dorin Lazar escribió:
>   First, an answer for the impacient. There is an utility called dos2unix
> that will do the trick. Unfortunately there is nothing embedded in the
> kdevelop2 IDE. I wouldn't know how can it be done.

Of course, I forgot to mention that a simple command line utility cold be
fine, sorry. I'm using CVS, and it keeps me away from this problems,
fortunately.

> On Tuesday 20 January 2004 13:03, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> > Maybe it's a good moment for upgrading ;-).
>
>   I am a constant user of KDevelop, and I would reccomend against upgrading
> for the time being.

(....)

>   Yours (and perhaps bitching too much),
>          Dorin

I understand perfectly your reasons, and I agree with you in many of them.

Actually, I'm using kdevelop mainly as a editor. The main feature that
kdevelop gives me, was the template kdevelop 2 provided for a new project,
which seems very good (and I like it more than the ones kdevelop 3 provides),
and "add a new class", which creates the files the same "look" as the others
(via the templates), and modifies Makefile.am for me.

For me, auto* stuff is very complicated, too. I don't undersand yet the
automake wizard, and in some situations (e.g. KDE_ICON = AUTO, and other
rules for actions icons), I needed to modify Makefile.am by hand, copying and
pasting a "recipe" I found in developer.kde.org.

Other kdevelop's features that I use marginally, didn't gave me problems both
in kdevelop 2 and 3.

With a release candidate in the FTP's, I'm sure that KDE packagers will stop
mantaining old kdevelop binaries, and the main part of kdevelop users
community, will begin to upgrade, so it will be better be in the same
situation of them.

Best regards.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0xAA8D2A01
http://lacurva.net/ - Jabber ID: suy at bulmalug.net
"Facts are stupid things."
-- President Ronald Reagan
   (a blooper from his speeach at the '88 GOP convention)