Program crashes

Paul Eggleton bluelightning at bluelightning.org
Sun Sep 28 01:32:39 BST 2003

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:21, Cornelius Kölbel wrote:
> I wrote some nice program. Everything seems fine, but sometime, when I
> change the QTab within the program or when I open a QFileDialog the
> whole program crashes.
>
> What would be the best way, to find out the reasons for this?
> How can kdevelop help me with... maybe memory leaks...

The tool you probably want is Valgrind. Basically it runs your program
(completely unmodified, though you will want to include debug symbols) in a
kind of virtual environment, monitoring memory allocs and frees, and tells
you if you have done something wrong (freed memory twice, used an
uninitialised pointer, etc).

http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj/

Not sure which version of KDevelop you are using, but Gideon has some Valgrind
integration. If you're using an older version (as I am at the moment) you can
just compile the program with KDevelop and then run it externally with
Valgrind.

Cheers,
Paul