The Autotools issues

abhijeet mhatre abhijeetmhatre at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 05:44:42 BST 2003

--- Dorin Lazar <lazar at deuromedia.ro> wrote:
>    Hello,
>    I write you as a programmer that has had the sad
> experience of moving some
> project from a version of kdevelop to a newer
> version. (that was with 2.x).
> More, I moved from RedHat 7.3 to RedHat 9 (where
> somehow the kdevelop is
> totally broken - unable to create a simple project).
> And I think that RedHat
> 9 shows the same problems as those I had - when the
> kdevelop expects
> different autotools series. The configure creation
> fails, and using an old
> configure is not an option - because you might want
> to change something in
> the project.
>   Also, there are some problems when simple changes
> in the project file (like
> the name of the author) will rebuild the configure
> script - creating an
> unusable version - the solution being to update the
> Makefile.am manually. But
> this behaviour occured on an already desynced system
> (with autotools changed
> to the versions from another system, and stuff like
> that).
>    A more detailed description of the issues I can't
> make - it was truly
> upsetting the effort needed to move to a different
> version, so I haven't
> recorded all the problems - but I think that you are
> familiar with this. Is
> there any way to solve this problem? or are the
> autotools so broken that a
> simple change of version upsets the project?
>    The reason I write you is to ask if the new
> gideon will be more robust
> regarding this issue? Or perhaps a better system
> should be thought? How could
> the build system be changed/or the configure
> generation model (if needed)?
>    Dorin

This is a known problem in kdevelop on RedHat9. The
problem doesnt exist in Mandrake 9.
Search the kdevelop archives for "autoconf" or
"autoconf problem"
You will get the solution there. Some lines in some
configuration files for autoconf have to be changed
and then kdevelop starts working.

If you dont find the post I'll mail you the solution
I had downloaded the post but right now I am unable to
find it.

hope this helps
regards
Abhijeet