Creating a Shared library

Ian Wadham ianw at netspace.net.au
Thu Oct 23 20:23:28 BST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leopold Palomo Avellaneda" <lepalom at wol.es>
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 3:18 AM

> I would like to create a library. A shared library. My project is a shared
> library, not a program with a shared library. My doubts are how I can do
it.

> Conceptually, I think that the way is to create a  new C/C++ (to do it
> is the same), so I create a new Hello world program, so kdevelop creates
> the skeleton for my app.
>
> I have a directory with two subdirectories src, templates. Template is ...
> templates and src, where my code is.
>
> In the automake manager there are a lot of options, so how it can be
> configured?

Well, I wrote the latest doc for Automake Manager (AM), but I know
nothing about how to create a shared library.  There appears to be no
New Project option that creates just a library, but then I suppose you
would have to have a test program anyway.  I suggest you first decide
whether you want the library source files to go in src or some other
directory.  If the latter, use AM to create an extra subproject.

Now I suggest you right-click on your chosen subproject (in AM) and
select Add Target.  In the drop-down lists in the dialog box you will
find Library (no flags), Libtool Library (flags available) and prefix
"lib".  Take your pick.  Filename is for your library name (e.g. fred).

When done, you will have some library-related lines in your
Makefile.am and a new target line in the lower AM window.  Right
click on that line to add source files used to build your library.  It
would be a good idea to find out what "libtool" does before you
go much further (e.g. "info libtool" or maybe there's a tutorial).

When you have found out how to create libraries in KDevelop,
maybe you could write a section to add to the User Manual ... ;-)

Good luck, Ian W.