Tips of the day

Ian Wadham ianw at netspace.net.au
Mon Oct 13 15:08:49 BST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexander Dymo" <cloudtemple at mksat.net>
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2003 6:13 AM
> Please everybody who has good tips on how to use KDevelop
> ( or how to reveal the hidden power of KDevelop :) ) post it here

Heh! Heh! Heh! The power is truly hidden, like the treasures
of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, but I'll try to give some tips ...

All of these have been hard-won after many hours and days of
patient experimentation, so I am sorry they are so long.  I hope
Alexander or others can provide more elegant ways to reach
the same objectives.  Tips follow:

--------
If you wish to develop an application that
follows the KDE standards, you can get a
good start from menu item
New Project->C++->KDE->Application Framework.
Also, have a look at KDE 3.0 Architecture,
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/kdeqt/kde3arch.
--------
When writing a user manual in XML Docbook format,
as required in KDE applications, start with the
template index.docbook file generated by menu item
New Project->C++->KDE->Application Framework.
It contains comments that explain what should
go in each chapter and section.
--------
To get KDE Help Center to display an XML Docbook
manual in readable form, switch to "root" user,
cd to $KDEDIR/share/doc/HTML/en, check that no
other application has the same name as yours,
then mkdir appname, cd appname and make a
symbolic link back to your index.docbook file.
Next time you run your application, your manual
should be accessible from the Help menu.
--------
The Automake and QMake Manager windows provide
an excellent overview of your project structure, source code,
data files, icons and documentation.  Use left-click
to navigate or open files for text editing.  Use
right-click and popup menus to change the structure or
the way the application is built or to open files with
any application (e.g. a graphics editor).
--------
In IDEAL User Interface mode, use the "." (stickpin)
icon to make a side or bottom window stay visible
after you open a file or finish compiling or whatever.
The icon is at the top right of the window.
--------
To see more detail or less on your compiler and linker
output, use Settings->Configure KDevelop->General and
the Compiler Output radio buttons.
--------
The small bar that separates the top and bottom part
of the Automake and QMake Manager windows can be
dragged to adjust the size of each part.
--------
Selecting Settings->Show Menubar is as heartbreaking as
letting go of a helium balloon ... :(  But don't worry, you
can get the Menubar back by pressing Ctrl+M.  That's
if you remember this tip when it happens to you ... ;-)
--------
C++ applications can hog memory by failing to delete
objects that are no longer in use.  This is called a
memory leak.  Run Tools->Valgrind to test your
application for memory leaks before you release it.
--------
To create a "tarball" (a single compressed file) for
distributing your application, run Tools->Project
Distribution and Publishing->Create Source Archive.
When decompressed and untarred (tar xvzf), the
application can be installed by ./configure, make
and make install (probably as root).
--------
Use Project->New Class to create skeleton files for
a new class.  Click on Generate QObject child class
or Generate QWidget child class if you wish to use
Qt signals and slots.
--------
To handle data files in Automake Manager, first add
a subproject (e.g. pics) and, before adding any targets,
right-click on the new subproject and select Options,
Prefixes and Add.  Now enter a short name (e.g. pics
again) and the path to an installation directory
(e.g. in KDE, use $(kde_datadir)/appname/pics).  Now,
when you add a target, select Data File for the Primary,
"pics" for the prefix and any non-blank string for the
"file name" (it only matters in compileable targets).
Any files you add to the target "Data in pics" will be
copied when your application is installed.
--------

All the best, Ian W.

unsubscribe ╩your-email-address╚